OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 19:56:44 -0500
Marie,

On the insect front, things aren't really as severe as you suggest. Tiny
flying insects are active any time the temperature is above 30 degrees.
I've seen this personally in the "thumb" of Michigan in late January. The
Rufous Hummingbirds that are in our area this time of year typically have a
certain amount of body fat, which is obtained primarily by eating insects.
But they can survive two or three weeks on nothing but sugar water, living
off that stored fat. Back in 2002, a three Rufous Hummingbirds in the
Kidron and Wooster area, and one in Logan County, survived two spells of
more than a week each where the daytime high never went above 20 degrees.
All three of these birds lingered into January and departed during a warm
spell. I am preparing a paper for publication in North American Bird
Bander, and have a supplemental table showing a total of 55 Rufous
Hummingbirds that have stayed later than the winter solstice in Michigan,
Ontario, Ohio, and Indiana. This is roughly 20-25% of the total number of
records of this species in all these states combined. Some winters none
stayed that late, while others (like last year) several have.

Rufous Hummingbirds staying at one locale from September to April is very
rare, even in places like New Orleans or Mobile. They seem to get restless
around the solstice and move on to a secondary wintering site at that time.
Last "winter", one Rufous in Mahoning County stayed until mid-February and
another in Fort Wayne, Indiana stayed until mid-April. So far, the early
winter season has been mild, close to what it was last year, so I suspect
that these birds will do just fine, and of course they know best when to
leave.

As of today, there is still one Rufous Hummingbird remaining in Michigan,
two or three in Indiana, and at least 5-6 in Ohio.

--
Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan