OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 23:14:03 -0500
With relatives visiting, I squeezed out a few hours to visit Antrum Lake and the Rush Creek Village ravines in this north Columbus suburb.  The cold morning made for some ice on ponds, but no major waterbird fallout ensued.  Highlights included
Hooded Merganser - 2 were on Antrum Lake
Pied-billed grebes - 4 were at Antrum Lake
Ring-billed Gulls - a large flock of 400+ birds was loafing on Antrum Lake; many departed south down the Olentangy River corridor while I was there.
Red-br.Nuthatch - at least 1 was near Colonial Hill Elementary in Rush Creek Village.
Cedar Waxwings - small flocks were at both sites.
blackbirds - 2 grackles and 4 Redwings were at a feeder in Rush Creek Village
Pine Siskins - at least 10 were in an old sweetgum at the corner of Morning St. & Glen Dr. in Rush Creek Village