OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 20:17:07 -0500
We visited Evans Lake this afternoon, Thursday, between 12:45PM and 2:15PM. What a surprise to find the lake almost totally ice free. The variety and awesome numbers of the species present was unbelievable. The following is a list of the highlights and how many seen, around the lake; Gadwall ~ 130+, American Black Duck ~ 58+, Northern Shoveler ~ 180+, Northern Pintail ~ 30+, Bufflehead ~ 6, Common Goldeneye ~ 12, Hooded Merganser ~ 100+, Common Merganser ~ 40+, Red-breasted Merganser ~ 10, Ruddy Duck ~ 20+, Wild Turkey ~ 25+, Pied-billed Grebe ~ 85+, Horned Grebe ~ 2, Killdeer ~ 2, Bald Eagle ~ 2, American Coot ~ 120+, Herring Gull ~ 50+, and Ring-billed Gull ~ 800+, just to name a few. Evans Lake is located in southeastern Mahoning Couny. Best viewing is from the northwest end of the lake, at the end of Calla Road in the Heron Bay residential area, accessed from SR164. From here do a driving tour around the lake. Go right when you get back to SR164, then immediately right again to go by the dam. Basically just keep going right until you return to SR164 at the southwest corner of the lake. Something we found unusual today was the fact that Evans Lake was ice free, and Pine Lake, a short drive to the south was completely frozen over. Go figure!

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County