OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 09:27:47 -0500
Scott--
        NE Ohio red-shouldereds have suffered less than those in other areas
from habitat destruction, shooting, etc. Back in 1903 Dawson regarded
this species as second only to the kestrel in Ohio numbers.
In 1902/3 the Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology studied and
collected these hawks here in Columbus's Clintonville neighborhood,
which at the time was pretty much still countryside, but they remain
over a century later, when dense housing predominates here (my
neighborhood was built up in the '20s).
        The closest nest is reused yearly; our neighborhood is dissected by
ravines with dense growths of mature hardwoods, and this nest is over 30
feet up in a big oak growing 15 feet from a house on the edge of one of
these ravines, which has constant water flow. The birds are often heard
calling in spring, and through the warm months have a habit of soaring
high over the neighborhood in sunny afternoons. For a scientific study
of urban Ohio red-shoulders, I recommend the work of some
Cincinnati-area researchers: Dykstra, C.R., J.L. Hays, F.B. Daniel, and
M. M. Simon. 2000. Nest site selection and productivity of suburban
Red-shouldered Hawks in southern Ohio. Condor 102(2):401-408, online at

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/files/issues/v102n02/p0401-p0408.pdf
  .
Bill Whan
Columbus