OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:11:13 -0500
I'll bet this is the first time a sighting has been headed up with those two
species.  Today around 1:15 I had a group of about 200 redpolls feeding in
the alder trees along the cliff. About 40 of the birds flew over top my
feeders. I was able to pick one very pale bird out of the group. After a
while the group of 40 started to land on the ground around my feeders,
including the pale bird. I was able to get it in my spotting scope and could
easily tell it was a hoary redpoll. It had a very frosty back, very white
below with fine streaking on the sides of the chest and finer flank
streaking than the nearby commons. It also had a short conical "pushed-in"
bill. As I was watching it a sparrow landed directly in front of the hoary.
It had a distinct eye ring and that was all I saw as everything flew up. The
hoary redpoll was not seen again. I saw the redpoll flock again around 2:30
but could not relocate the hoary. The redpolls were scattered in the alders
so it probably was still there.

The vesper sparrow did return and fed below that feeder off and on until
3:30. After that there have been few birds around. No photos of the hoary,
yet, but I did get several of the vesper. This is only the second vesper
sparrow I have seen in the yard, the first was in the early 1990s during
spring migration.

If the redpoll returns tomorrow, I'll make sure and post it.  Photos of the
vesper are available at:

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7052
<http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7052&PID=21424&#21424>
&PID=21424&#21424