OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:10:18 -0500
Today, Friday, from 11:30AM to about 3:30PM, we birded the shoreline of Lake Erie from Conneaut Harbor to Ashtabula Harbor. There was plenty to see. The interesting sightings will be mentioned. Our day began at the end of the Conneaut Marina road. It was a very calm day in the harbor, with very little wind, next to no wave action. After setting the scope up, we were immediately thrilled to find a first winter male Harlequin Duck about two thirds of the way across the water towards the Conneaut Lighthouse. During the hour we were in the harbor area, it kept pretty much to itself, but occasionally mixed in with twelve nearby Ruddy Ducks. Hundreds of Red-breasted Mergansers we flying by, some going east, some going west, and some in the harbor in the company of 20+ Common Mergansers. Four White-winged Scoters flew in, landed for about a minute, and then flew back over the breakwall. A single Double-crested Cormorant was keeping the hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls company on one of the docks. Including this location, we recorded over thirty adult Great Black-backed Gulls along the lake. To those familiar with Conneaut, of interest, was the fact that the new gate to "The Sandspit" was actually open. We drove out in four-wheel drive, still probably not a smart move, with all the chunks of ice. It was like driving thru a pinball machine; the only reward was Ring-billed Gulls. On our odyssey along SR531, the next stop was Sunset Park, just east of the intersection with SR193. From the bluff we had about 30 Common Goldeneyes, 5 Tundra Swans, and numerous Buffleheads, feeding below us close to shore. Next stop was a short walk to the old abandoned bridge on the shoreline west of SR193. We were surprised to find numerous Gadwalls and American Black Ducks feeding tight against the shore. At the west end of Lakeshore Park we found a gorgeous 1st year male Long-tailed Duck close to the breakwall, adjacent to the parking lot, giving the opportunity for some nice photos. The Ashtabula Harbor and the railroad yard area was our last stop to end the day. For about an hour from several high viewing points, we scanned and searched to no avail, for Snowy Owls. Our only disappointment of the day.

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County