OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:48:35 -0500
The Lake Erie Islands Christmas  Bird Count was held Sunday, December 16.
There was some coverage on all of the islands for the first time in a few
years.  We ended up with 82 species.  The most interesting thing however
were some of the rare species and high numbers.  Rare birds seen were
harlequin duck, golden eagle, Virginia rail, purple sandpiper (3), Northern
saw-whet owl (9!), Cape May warbler, and white-winged crossbill (11).  High
numbers were as follows: yellow-bellied sapsucker 4, northern flicker 102,
golden-crowned kinglet 45, ruby-crowned kinglet 2, hermit thrush 112,
yellow-rumped warbler 560, and fox sparrow 4.  Below is a list of what we
ended up with.  I know for me I cannot remember a count where I saw as many
individual birds each stop.  Hermit thrushes were responding to owl tapes
before dawn.  At one stop I had 7 at one time.  Yellow-rumped warblers were
also amazing with over 500 counted.

Total

Canada Goose

180