OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:50:50 -0500
I stopped at this SE Columbus MetroPark to check on the Ovenbird report (It's still there), as well as to hike around and see what the snowfall had pushed in.  The Blacklick Nature Center feeders are usually very good in snowy weather, and today did not disappoint.  Highlights included:

Ovenbird - a fairly healthy bird with the maddening habit of walking around in the snow-free area under the windows at the base of the building's walls, just out of sight.  Seems to get active around 11:00 - 12:00
Red-br.Nuthatch - sporadic visits to the feeders
Fox Sparrow - one very brown bird (likely another western Canadian subspecies) easily seen around the feeders
Tree Sparrows - 3-4 around the feeders
Brown-headed Cowbird - 1 juvenile hanging out with the English Sparrows that visit the feeders
E.Bluebirds - several small flocks feeding along the roadsides in the park
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 along the Beech-Maple Trail
Barred owls - at least 2 were reported along the Beech-maple Trail, but I couldn't relocate them.

The staff has also seen a Rusty Blackbird regularly visiting the feeders, but he appears to come in later than I was present, usually after 1 in the afternoon.