OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:22:30 -0500
Doing a bit of scouting for tomorrows O'Shaughnessy CBC, I roamed over parts of western Dublin & eastern Union County.  Most open water was frozen, so waterfowl were a luxury, except for flyover geese.  Landbirds were mostly concentrated around feeders and streams.  Aside from general roaming, I stopped at Glacier Ridge, Avery Park, Trabue Preserve, and Darree Fields Park.  Notables included:

Geese & Swans - flocks of Canada Geese started flying over around 11:00, most flocks high & headed south.  With them were 2 Tundra Swans as a flyover at Darree Fields.

Hawks - Red-tails were at many locations, but most other hawks were scarce.  I did have a Coopers at Trabue, as well as a calling Red-shouldered at Glacier Ridge.  Kestrels were very scarce.

Woodpeckers - lots of Downies, with a high of 8 at north Glacier Ridge.  Single sapsuckers were at Avery Park woods and Glacier Ridge.

Horned Larks - I expected many of them, but was a bit disappointed, with only a few here and there.  No pipits or longspurs.

Thrushes - Robins were in small #s, mostly around suburban yards. A flock of 5 E.Bluebirds were along the loop at Glacier Ridge.

Sparrows - Tree Sparrows were the most widespread, being at every stop, often in small flocks.  Song Sparrows were common only where there was water - Darree Fields had 10, mostly around their stream.  DF also had a Swamp Sparrow.  White-throateds were only common in suburban parks.

Finches - nothing but House Finches and Goldfinches, despite careful searching.  Hopefully, Purples and siskins will show up with more observers tomorrow.