OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:33:59 -0500
The bird has been seen every day since 12/27 at the Quarry Condos in
the fruit trees near condo building #4 and/or #9.  There are other
fruit trees in the complex it might be seen in but these have been
most regular.  That said, the bird is not regular.  It just shows up
whenever so you will probably have to sit around and wait.  I have
seen it as early as 9:00 AM and as late as 3:00 PM.  If it is snowing,
it seems to come in more often.  It usually flies off to the north
when it leaves the area.  I last saw it today at 9:00 AM as I was
leaving the condos and the island.

If you are going to try for the bird, the ferry stops running next
Monday (1/7) for the winter.  The schedule is:

December 31 and January 2 - leaves Marblehead at 8:00 AM and leaves
Kelleys at 4:30 PM

January 4-6 - leaves Marblehead at 8, 9, 12, 4, and 5; leaves Kelleys
on the half hour.

No ferry on January 1 or 3.

Check the Kelleys Island ferry webpages for more details.  Again,
there are no places to eat on the island and no lodgings at this time.
 The Island Market is open for limited time each day, check when you
get to the island.

If the waters of Lake Erie are icy, I would leave my car on the
mainland and go over by foot.  You may not get the car back to
Marblehead until spring.  The condos are only about 1/3-1/2 mile from
the ferry dock (to the west).

Tom
--
H. Thomas Bartlett