OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2012 22:21:13 -0500
Today was way different from yesterday.  Yesterday saw large numbers of
herring gulls moving along the lake.  Herring gull numbers were twice that
of ring-billed.  Today ring-bills outnumbered herring gulls almost 10-1.  No
white-winged gulls were seen and only 4 great black-backed gulls today, 147
yesterday.  Of note today was a 1st cycle black-legged kittiwake.  It was
flying west around 8:15 in the company of a single Bonaparte's gull, the
only one of the morning.

There was no sign of the hoary redpoll today and no redpolls were seen at
all during the morning.  There were very few birds at the feeders at all.
The vesper sparrow was seen.  I was gone most of the day.  When I refilled
my feeders tonight very little was missing.  Maybe the snow tonight will get
the birds active again.

Wanting to check the lake for some of the gulls I saw yesterday I headed
west.  I stopped at Fairport Harbor, Eastlake power Plant, East 72nd, and
Lorain.  Fairport had a few hundred Bonaparte's feeding at the mouth of the
harbor.  Nothing of note was found.   Eastlake a few gulls and mergansers
around, nothing of note.  East 72nd few gulls around, nothing of note.
Lorain had large numbers of ring-billed gulls and small numbers of herring.
Of note was the mew gull and a lesser black-backed gull.  No white-winged
gulls were found.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

December 31, 2012, 0730-1000

Weather- cloudy, Wind- S 15-25

Temperature 29-32 F, Barometer- 30.11-30.07

Humidity-  76-74, dew point- 23-26

Waves- 4-6 feet, Direction- west

Bufflehead   2

Common goldeneye   81