OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2012 12:19:27 -0500
A kestrel perched this morning around on the utility wire across from our
place, Valhalla Acres Fiber Farm, on Flint Ridge Rd. in Hopewell Township,
Muskingum County. I saw the same bird in the same place, probably, three
days ago on November 30 as well. I should put up a box. This species has
been an irregular visitor over the past 12 and a half years (since we moved
in) and it seems that it would be suitable country for them.

I heard the first hooting of a great horned owl shortly after dusk (5:50
PM) on November 30 as well, distant but distinct, off in the hollows
somewhere to the northeast. I was filling the water trough for the sheep on
the slope behind the barn. Every year I love to pause and mark this sign of
the change of season. Charming...

Saturday morning when Jane and I took our usual daily hike around our
property, an owl swooped down and away from us as we were climbing the hill
in the woods near the end of the field at the back end of the property. The
look was too brief to tell if it was great horned or barred.

While driving into Zanesville Saturday morning, December 1, I saw a
kingfisher perched on the utility wire above Sycamore Creek along Rt. 40
near the Kimes Rd. intersection. I had seen (probably) the same bird on the
29th as well. I didn't slow down to check the gender, but if I see it again
I may.

We may have another over-wintering mockingbird, which was an annual
occurrence 2001 - 2007, but which has been absent since. I saw one on the
center fenceline at the top of the hill on yesterday (12/2) and again this
morning in the evergreens at the Ebe's, our neighbors just to the south.

Other than that. plenty of the usual winter residents, delightfully
including a half dozen or more bluebirds hanging around the picnic site.
Very vocal Carolina wrens and bluejays today in the 60 degree temperatures.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County