OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:53:07 -0500
While this is probably no longer applicable to the Varied Thrush, birders
should think a little bit about the residents when in residential areas. If
you were a resident, what would you feel more comfortable with?  A group of
people with optics and cameras and optics, more or less in the same place
acting with common purpose, or a bunch of individuals with optics and
cameras wandering willy nilly on your streets and public areas with no
apparent purpose.

In this case nearly a week from the time the bird was found until all
permissions were in place and everyone informed.  This showed considerable
restrain, forethought and consideration on the part of  Ms. Stevens.

Now that the Varied Thrush is being found all over the immediate area, I
hope birders will exercise the same sort of restraint, forethought and
consideration when going after this great bird.  My own experience
yesterday indicated otherwise.  Birds tend to be creatures of habit.  They
do come back to the same place.  Patience is a virtue and I hope it is one
birders can demonstrate.  Also ask yourself if chasing this bird down is
going to somehow disrupt its habits an perhaps disturb it, causing it to
move on so others cannot see it?  While I don't think we birders love birds
to death, keep in mind even a bird, needs places where it can take a break
without constantly being oggled.

Haans