OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Lisa Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 22:38:15 -0500
Yesterday (December 8), a group from the Columbus Audubon Society visited
Killdeer Plains. Although we missed the shrike that others had reported,
we did manage to locate two barred owls, along with kestrels (one flew
into a barn window while we were watching), bald eagles, red-headed
woodpeckers, northern harriers (including a gorgeous adult male hunting
over the field next to the port-a-potty), and a striking ring-necked
pheasant along the side the road who seemed completely unconcerned by our
presence. Most of the ponds were pretty empty, probably due to hunting
activity, but we discovered a decent variety of waterfowl in the large
pond along the north side of Highway 68. (Not surprisingly, this pond is
off-limits to hunters.)

The highlight of the trip, however, came around 4:30, when we saw at least
eight short-eared owls hunting the fields surrounding the sportsman's
center. (It was probably more like a dozen owls, possibly more, but it was
impossible to keep count, as they were flying around us on all sides.)
There were also five or six norther harriers (no adult males this time)
hunting in the same area, at times engaging in arial battle with the owls.