OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2012 17:15:48 -0500
I spent the morning stopping at areas along the Scioto River near downtown Columbus (Long street Dam, Greenlawn dam, Berliner Park) then leading a group around Greenlawn cemetery.  The mild weather made for easy walking, but didn't make for very exciting birding.  The big news is that work is proceeding on a new bike bridge at Long St. dam, that will cross the Scioto to a new bikepath along the I-670 greenbelt there, one of the last 'wild' areas near downtown Columbus.  The birding potential for this spot will increase enormously once that bridge and path are completed.

Bird highlights for today included:

cormorants - still 2-3 around the Greenlawn dam
Black Ducks - 15 along the river in Berliner Park is a typical winter count there
Cooper's Hawk - singles were at Berliner and in the cemetery
Yellow-b.Sapsucker - at least 1 was commuting between a spruce and the trees around the Pit feeders at the cemetery
Red-br.Nuthatch - 2 continue to be seen and heard between the Pit and the Chapel in the cemetery.
Brown Creepers - 4 were along the bikepath in Berliner, where the riparian woods often host many wintering creepers
Cedar Waxwings - a flock of 10 birds was along the bikepath at Berliner
Tree Sparrows - 2-3 were at every stop, even in the cemetery.  Clearly we don't need cold weather to move them in.
No siskins or crossbills, but we didn't do an exhaustive survey of the cemetery.