OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 12:50:26 -0800
Recently I started going to Lake View Cemetery to look for birds on the weekend and the only finches I had been seeing were Common Redpolls.  Yesterday a small number of White-winged Crossbills were reported there feeding in the sweetgum trees.  So I got off work early and got over to the traditional large sweetgum tree that I had previously seen Redpolls a few weeks ago just up from the Euclid entrance and the office from 1:55pm to 2:40pm today.  I found at least four or five White-winged Crossbills.  Did not count exactly, at least two males and two females.  There were also a small number of Pine Siskins and Common Redpolls.  After I watched for a along time a large UPS truck was exiting the Euclid Ave entrance and seven birds flew out.  I assumed they were the smaller finches but I never saw the White-winged Crossbills after that.  I did start seeing more Common Redpolls after that at least 12 but there were more and I only counted a few Pine Siskins
 and more American Goldfinch.  Small finches were flying in from the west(northwest?) as I was there and finches were flying south while I was there so I am sure there is more around there.  I only put a few pictures on Flickr so far as there were two many to look at and not all were very good.  I talked to someone who had been there earlier and apparently others had not found them so they must of just arrived before I got there.  The ones seen yesterday were seem in the AM.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
(NE Cuyahoga County)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/