OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2012

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:42:07 -0500
Larry Jeanblanc, Julie Karlson, and I checked out Ferncliff Cemetery in
Springfield this morning hoping to find crossbills. Julie had seen about 5
Red Crossbills and 1 White-winged Crossbill on our CBC on Friday. We heard
some White-winged Crossbills fly over but couldn't track them down. A while
later we heard some more and moved toward them. Then Larry spotted them in
some hemlock trees. We were able to watch them for at least 15 minutes from
very close range. The hemlock trees are on the north side of the chapel. The
chapel is the building near the main entrance to the cemetery from McCreight
Avenue which is at the curve in the street. This is a little ways northwest
of the center of Springfield.

Also on Friday there was a Ross's Goose with a flock of Canada Geese in
Snyder Park on Buck Creek. This is just a ways west of the cemetery on the
other side of Buck Creek. It was seen near Snyder Street. We were not able
to find any geese in the park today. I don't know where they might be when
not in the park.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio