OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 08:45:24 -0500
The Fairborn Rufous/Allen was here as of yesterday 10 Jan (showed up 9
Nov).  I am home off work and have not yet seen it this morning. I did
switch the feeders around a little to try to minimize rain flooding.
I tried finding the recent post on the Birding Ohio facebook regarding
the North Olmstead bird, to get an exact date but couldn't find it,
however the North Olmstead bird was reported with a picture within the
last week I'm pretty sure.  The bird is very rufous colored, quite
beautiful!
There is a woman near Little Rock Arkansas who has hosted a Rufous three
years running but I'm not sure if she knows whether its the same bird or
not.
I've been wondering about the repeat wintering/site fidelity thing too.
I know scientists believe that having feeders out do not encourage
hummingbirds to stay put, or not migrate.  But the idea of having yearly
repeat Rufous through the winter in Ohio, when they are so dependent on
that feeder, would seem somewhat at odds with that.
And while I hate to be a negative Nelly we do have to consider that when
a bird disappears from a feeder it didnt necessarily fly away.    Window
strike, freezing, starving, predation all could play a role.

Marie, Fairborn
P.S.  If you search for Mary Schatz Facebook, I have a public folder
with some pictures