OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2013 19:46:33 -0500
As reported earlier, an adult black-headed gull was observed flying along
the outer west breakwall.  There were at least 400 Bonaparte's gulls in the
harbor.

I stopped back at the harbor at around 4:00 in hopes the black-headed gull
might be in closer.  Instead there were probably 3 times the number of gulls
that there were earlier.  Most were ring-billed, but the Bonaparte's were
mixed in.  There was a layer of fog obscuring the upper part of the
lighthouse.  I turned my car around to get a photo.  In that split second
the lighthouse was totally obscured and within minutes most of the harbor
was obscured.  We drove out to the pier on the west side of the river and
the fog was thick enough by then that the sewage treatment plant was not
visible.  We headed out after that.  Of note.  When we went through
Cleveland on the way home there was absolutely no fog there.

They have fenced off most of the entrances to the pier on the west side of
the river.  The only opening is to take the road directly east of city hall
near the intersection of the Lake Road and Broadway.  That road runs east
the rapidly turns to the south and goes under the bridge.  There is an
entrance to the pier at this site.  Hopefully this one is left open.

For those birding Lorain, early morning and evening are often best for
gulls.  Late in the day is often best.  Many gulls come in to roost in the
harbor in the evening.  The gulls come in off the lake and from inland
locations.  If the lighting is still decent it is a great time to look.
Early morning varies.  Sometimes the gulls seem to disperse before light.
Other times they linger a bit before heading out.  Evening is definitely
worth a check most days.

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081