OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 07:44:41 -0500
On Sunday, January 14, Susan Harrington reported 6 common redpolls and 2 pine
siskins at her feeder on South Bass Island.

Last week we had just a small area of ice free lake around the Scheeff East
Point Nature Preserve, crowded with waterfowl-redheads, canvasback, lesser
scaup, goldeneye, a free ring-necked ducks, three long-tailed ducks and an
estimate of 500 tundra swans (counted 332 before they started to move around.
On Sunday, the ice had disappeared with the warmer temperatures and rain and
so had the swans. There were no waterfowl or gulls to be seen that day at
Scheeff. There were large numbers of common goldeneye, redheads, mallards, and
a few lesser scaup at Chapman's Point. A belted kingfisher has been seen there
or in the harbor since the ice disappeared.Two adult bald eagles are still
seen regularly near the nest at Terwilliger's Pond.

Lisa Brohl