OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:31:26 -0500
What a difference a day makes! We awoke to ice everywhere on Tuesday morning
here on South Bass Island. I got a call from Bob Glauser that he had five
eagles out at Scheeff East Point Preserve (w adults, 3 immatures) so I went
out to investigate and see what waterfowl remained in pockets of open water.

At Scheeff, there was a pocket of open water just past Buckeye and also
facing Kelleys Island. Common Goldeneye were the most abundant.

Common Goldeneye-hundreds
Mallards-100
Black Ducks 2
Redheads-hundreds
Ring-necked Ducks- 30
Buffleheads-4
Canada Geese-6
Tundra Swans 120
Mute Swans 2
Red-breasted Mergansers-6
Pintail 1

At Chapman's Point in the pocket of open water there:
Common Goldeneye
Redheads
Canvasback at least 4
Buffleheads 6
Mallards
Tundra Swans 4
Red-breasted Mergansers 4
Hooded Merganser 1

Bay and Pond frozen over.

A large flock of Canada Geese were on the lawn at Perry's Victory.

Lisa Brohl