OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 18:46:34 -0800
Hello All... A Northern Shrike has been reported several different times this Winter at the Delaware Wildlife area located just North and East of Delaware, Ohio (N-central Ohio). From US 23, just N of Delaware and just below (South) of the Delaware Dam spillway, take Main Street East for maybe 2 miles until it dead-ends into Panhandle Road. Turn left. The road goes over a dike, some rumble strips, and then you will come to a road that turns to the right. This is Leanordsburg Road (though the road is not named/signed at this W end). Based on past reports, the NOSH has been seen along this pot-hole roadway, mostly on the wires and/or to the North, though there is some good habitat to the right (South), towards the wetlands area. If you do not find the shrike along this roadway, return W toward the reservoir, then turn right (North) and drive along the E side of the reservoir to the N end of Panhandle Road. This road ends in a large, circular parking
 area. To the right/East you will see two 2-track roads/trails. Park and walk either of these roads (they merge in a short distance) to the East. There will be a large pond on your right, then you will come to a 'T'. Take the road to the left (N) and after an S-curve you will pass another smaller pond on your right. Walk this road to the next 'T', and ahead of you to the N, you will see a large woods about 1/4 mile away. You will also notice a weedy field that has treed fence-rows along either side of the field. It was along the fence-row to the E that I first saw the NOSH, perched in the top of one of the trees, back near the woods. I walked into this field until I got close enough to see that it was indeed a NOSH and not a Northern Mockingbird, as there are some in the area. When the bird flew to the W, I knew that it was indeed a shrike, by the rapid wing beat, low-to-the-ground and undulating flight pattern. It landed atop a tree in the wooded
 fence row to the W, and after 'working' this fence row, eventually flew to a third fence-row on the W side of the bean-stubble field. It continued, flying/hunting along these wooded fence-rows for all of the 45 or so minutes that we were there, from 3:15 until after 4:00 PM. Allow about 20 minutes for walking time each way, and a scope would be helpful (though not required) for better looks at this beautiful Northern visitor. Best of luck if you try for this one!

Good Birding,
Dan

Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St