OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 08:38:11 -0500
If you go to visit the Varied Thrush site at the home of Michael and Naomi Yoder near the town of New Bedford, there are some interesting observations from yesterday, I believe are noteworthy. To me the most unusual fact is that this Varied Thrush came to the exact same location, on an elevated feeder, each time it gave a show. Of the half dozen or so sightings I have had of Varied Thrushes in my past travels; at feeding areas, they have always been on the ground, not this guy. As you come down the driveway, the bright white feeder on a post is visible and right of the house in the front yard. According to Naomi the Varied Thrush has always came to the same spot on the feeder facing the driveway, thus it is not necessary to walk all the way up to the house, thus not spooking the birds. If the celebrity is at the feeder you will be able to see it as you walk past the buggy shed. It normally stays less than five minutes, and as was previously stated, visits about once an hour. During our visit it would retreat down the the hill in a direct line from the corner of the house thru the feeder into the brush near a group of Mourning Doves. If you happen to park at the bottom of the hill, the white feeder is actually visible while walking up the road, look to the right with your binoculars. To me this bird is more brilliantly colored than the one that was in Lorain County a short time ago. Another highlight of our visit was the unbelievable variety and numbers of birds The Yoders get at their feeders. We recorded 23 species while enjoying The Yoders hospitality, and here they are; both Black-capped and Carolina Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Pine Siskin, both male and female Eastern Towhees, numerous Eastern Bluebirds, Carolina Wrens, White-breasted Nuthatches, Tufted Titmice, House Finches, American Goldfinches, Dark-eyed Juncos, Northern Cardinals galore, Blue Jays, White-throated Sparrows, American Tree Sparrows, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, plus the nonnatives. If you visit, make sure you sign their guest register book before you leave!

Bob Lane / at home in Mahoning County