OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:48:52 -0800
Spent the first day of the new year out-and-about with my b
Greetings!

Spent the first day of the new year out-and-about with my birding buddies Su Snyder and Sue Evanoff. We concentrated on Bobolink Area rarities (in Wayne, Holmes, Richland and Ashland counties) and other reliable birds that we know are pretty safe bets each year and ended up with 52 species for the day. My target birds for the 1st were Orchard Oriole, Least Flycatcher and Western Sandpiper...all of which would have been new January 100 Ohio species for our lists.

We chose not to chase the Least Flycatcher in Holmes County (last reported on the 27th) and we missed the Western Sandpiper at Pleasant Hill Lake in Richland/Ashland counties (last reported on the 29th).

We were rewarded with a very cooperative Orchard Oriole at a feeder in Wayne County.  The bird is a beautiful, adult male and is very cooperative coming to a funnel feeder filled with grape jelly. I don't imagine there will be too much of a rush to see this bird, unless you need it for your January list, since they will be all over the state come spring and summer. The bird is located at 1011 South Carr Road, Orville, OH (get off of the RT 30 Carr Road exit and go south on Carr Road for a short distance). Just pull up the drive, knock on the door and ask permission to sit and watch for the bird from your car. Mr. Troyer is very nice and accommodating to birders. He talked with us for quite awhile during our visit and I think he was a bit surprised by all of the attention this bird is getting.  Visitors might want to leave a jar of grape jelly, suet or other goodies for the Troyers, as there are a lot of feeders to fill at the location and good birds to
 be seen.

Other good birds for the area included rough-legged hawk, northern harrier, belted kingfisher, great blue heron, yellow-rumped warbler, lapland longspur, tundra swan and killdeer.

Off to Columbus tomorrow and then on to Hawaii until the middle of the month!

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson
Graduate Student
Ohio University
Department of Environmental and Plant Biology
Department of Environmental Studies (MSES)
315 Porter Hall
Athens, Oh  45701
740-593-1126