OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:52:08 -0500
This is very likely a Baltimore Oriole, or perhaps even more rare - a Bullock's Oriole or other western species. It WOULD appear initially to be about the size of a Blue Jay. If you have any photos or could take any, that would be awesome! It is very rare for orioles to over winter this far north but it happens annually. There is currently one Baltimore and an Orchard Oriole in Ohio right now. Again, if you could take any photos, that would be MOST helpful in trying to help you identify your bird to species. There are exceedingly rare cases of southern/western orioles that stray to the east and while Baltimore would be the most expected rare bird, it is possible you may have an accidental (exceedingly rare) species. If you'd like to email photos privately or perhaps post them to a flickr site, or to Facebook, we'd all love to take a look at your bird! Thanks for sharing your great sighting, and cheers -

JB

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, OH
Bird illustrator and birding tour guide