OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:30:03 -0500
I stopped by east 72nd Street on my may to and from Lorain today.  On my way
through I stopped about 10:30.  There were mainly ring-billed gulls flying
around the hot water outlet.  There were some gulls on the ice including a
1st winter glaucous gull.  The south winds opened up the ice and you could
see thousands of gulls out beyond the breakwall.

On my way back I stopped from about 4:30-5:30, what a difference.  Thousands
of gulls close to shore including a lot of herrings.  While there were not a
lot of white-winged gulls compared with yesterday, it was still good.  I
ended up with 1 adult glaucous, 1 2nd cycle Iceland, 1 adult Thayer's, and 5
lesser black-backed gulls (2 1st cycle, 1 2nd cycle, and 2 adults).  I did
not seen any hybrids or the dark mantled herring gull.  Still a lot of gulls
to look through.

Lorain harbor was frozen.  There were a few gulls here and there on the ice,
but nothing of note.

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081