OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:28:40 -0500

At about 8am this morning I spotted the Brant sitting on the water with
Canadas at the Scioto River Frisbee Golf Course, which is about 0.5 mile
south of Griggs Dam, in Upper Arlington, Franklin County.  Soon after I
spotted the bird, the flock spooked and took off south along the river
before veering west and heading up over the trees and away from the river.

Also at the Frisbee Golf Course was an adult Ross's Goose.  It had a small,
petitely rounded head and steeply sloped forehead, and a small pinkish
triangular bill with no hint of a tomial patch and a straight, vertical
border between the bill base and the white facial feathers.  I was looking
at this goose around 8:20am when it, too, spooked south with a flock of
Canadas.  This flock appeared to follow the river to the south.

A blurry photo of the Ross's is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveslager/8423266083/

Good birding,
Dave Slager