OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:33:13 -0500
We braved the moderate rain and warm temps and high winds visiting the
Battelle-Darby Kuhlwein Rd. wetlands (off Broad St. in SW Franklin Co.)
 early this morning finding few birds due to fog and weather although
several N.Harriers were up as well as dozens of flyover flocks of Canada
Geese, Mallards and the like.  Except for one E Meadowlark and a C Grackle
there were no land birds.  Raptors were out:  2 Red-shouldered, 2 Cooper's
and four Red-tailed Hawks were seen in short order; one Rough-legged Hawk,
looking pin headed and conspicuous, a top a small sapling in the field was
our fist this year.

The afternoon was a different story. We spent three hours taking advantage
of the changeable weather finding the flooded fields there loaded with
waterfowl, and constantly arriving flocks of Canada Geese and puddle ducks.
Landbirds were very scarce,  and the dozens of sparrows here here earlier
this month continue to be absent, with 5 Horned Larks, 30 House Finches, 8
nice male pheasant along Kuhlwein Rd. and, ten lovely Evening Grosbeaks
(adorning the top of a gum tree (at the corner of Kuhlwein and Darby Creek
Rd.) like Christmas lights being notable.  The latter especially welcome.
We counted 11 N. Harriers in sight at once, and around 5 p.m. a nice and
welcome Short-eared Owl began to hunt (our second one here this month).
 Three Sharp-shinned Hawks were seen hunting.

Mallards and American Black Ducks filled the field and small to large
processions just kept arriving.   The highlights were one Cackling Goose
(possibly minimus based on size, wing length, and darkness) and one ad.
white Ross Goose at the south end of the pasture with flocks of Mallards
(and scattered geese).  The former was spotted flying low overhead,
litterally duck sized with wings barely 60 % the length if that of the
squadron of Canada's with it.  They landed among the others and its size,
short neck and gentle roundish head and tiny bill (structure recalling
Ross's) were obvious.  Unfortnately high winds kept the birds wary and
photography (along with distance) was not an option.

The adult Ross's Goose was classic with small body (nearly Malllard
size), petite
even cute profile due to combination of softly rounded head and tiny triangular
pink bill (with only hint a feature being its dingy base); feathering at
the base was straight and vertical as seen through telescope at 40X.  The
coal black eye stood out against its immaculate white plumage.  Its
possible this is the same one traveling along the Scotio River (seen a few
days ago) as most of the geese were filing in from the direction.  Looked
for Brant and other special geese but no.  I counted all the waterfowl
possible, and came up with conservative numbers, as flocks were continually
arriving.

Waterfowl

Ross's Goose
Cackling Goose
Canada Goose -- 1000
Wood Duck -- 6
AMWI -- 90
Gadwall -- 35
Mallard -- 1750 ( incl. one luesistic, and an near albino; one male
domestic Mallard was an odd sight)
AMBD -- 850
NSHO -- 30
NPIN -- 125
GWTE -- 160 (alas, no "Common")
Canvasback -- 8
Greater Scaup -- 18 (a tight flock, flyby, nice solid white wing strip well
out onto the p's; didn't land, arriving from the SE)
RNDU -- 3

Perhaps a Eurasian Wigeon will be a spring migrant.

Good birding,

David Tan
Columbus