OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:07:28 -0800
I paid my first visit to Deer Creek for the year this afternoon. I only had a couple of hours and couldn't explore the whole area. At least scoping out the reservoir wasn't necessary. The entire reservoir was frozen over with no open water anywhere. There wasn't a gull, duck or grebe to be found. What a difference from only 4 days ago!

The running water at the N end of the reservoir where the Deer Creek enters still hosted American Pipits and Savannah Sparrows. Today they were joined by 3 WILSON'S SNIPES and a Killdeer.

The fields are swarming with sparrows. American Tree Sparrows are by far the most numerous species present, but anyone who is willing to look through enough of them shouldn't have trouble quickly also finding Song, Swamp, White-crowned, Field, Fox, White-throated, and more Savannah Sparrows.

The only vulture seen today was, surprisingly, a Turkey Vulture. Plenty of harriers were out and about and a Short-eared Owl was out in nice light in the wetlands along Dick Road. Also along Dick Road were 3 Lapland Longspurs with Horned Larks.

Closer to home here in Columbus, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet has been part of my backyard flock of woodland birds for well over a month now. It is hanging tough in this weather with the neighborhood chickadees, creepers, and nuthatches.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 7858 (20130103) __________