OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 22:15:08 -0500
The Pyle Road Nature Preserve Long-eared Owls, while extremely exciting, have been overly reported at this point and the roost of five birds is in a seriously precarious position. This situation wreaks of Killdeer Plains owl roost distress, which most folks will understand from years and years of first hand experience. These uncommon to rare winter visitors are uncommon to rare in Ohio in winter for many reasons, including habitat loss. Should you visit this roost please consider the consequences and please consider NOT posting results. Owl roost issues are very controversial for a reason. Not to take away from the sheer excitement!, but these birds are becoming heavily pressured by visitation (dozens upon dozens upon dozens of people). If you've visited the roost once, please consider NOT visiting a second or third time. If you are considering visiting this roost please understand the implications of your presence on the health and success of this roost. Word of owl roosts is not an issue of "secret" shared information so much as it is pure respect for the success and health of the wintering birds. Sometimes these birds do not need to be reported publicly to a thousand observers. Not to take away from the experience and opportunity of all, but to protect the health and success of innately secretive species.

JB

CLE, OH