OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 17:26:08 -0800
Tim & I decided to check out the fields east of Elkton for Short-eared Owls this
evening.  This used to be a great location for them a few years ago, then the
fields were fenced in and cattle brought in.  This seemed to be the end of the
owls in this area.  But we were back there this past summer, looking for
Dickcissels & Henslow's Sparrows and thought the area still looked promising for
owls.  So back we went tonight to check it out.

As sunset approached, we drove back & forth along Fairmont & Lock Lust Rds
scanning the fields and fence posts.  No owls. Just a couple of minutes before
dark, we began to head back toward Elkton on Fairmont and lo and behold! There
was a short-eared working the scrub and weeds just east of the fields we had
been searching.  Only the one owl, but it nice to know the area has not been
completely abandoned by the owls.  There  may be more.

Laura Dornan
Stark Co.