OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 21:45:35 -0500
I birded the lakeshore today.  East 72nd Street in Cleveland was the best
for gulls.  I ended up with seven species of gulls there.  Other than the
four expected species (Bonaparte's, Ring-billed, Herring, and Great
black-backed) I had 1 adult lesser black-backed gull, 2 Iceland gulls (both
adults), and 2 Thayer's (adult and 1st year),  Surprising, no glaucous
gulls.  The gulls were feeding at the hot water outlet.  The gulls were
sitting offshore and would come in to feed and then head back.  You have to
be patient to see the different birds.  I posted shots of the dark-eyed
Iceland and adult Thayer's at:

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7079
<http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7079&PID=21499&#21499>
&PID=21499&#21499

Avon Lake Power Plant had little of note.  The one interesting thing, of the
200 or so gulls there, almost half were great black-backed gull.

Lorain Harbor was also slow.  I did not see any different gulls other that
the four expected species.  There were a lot more ring-billed than anything
else.  Definitely a much different composition than what was there Monday
when the mew gull was there.  The only bird of note was a male wood duck.
It was on the river feeding at the outflow from the sewage plant.  (it is on
the east side of the river).  It was feeding with several coots.  It would
occasionally swim up the pipe so far that it went out of site.

John Pogacnik

4765 Lockwood Road

Perry, OH 44081