OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Allen Chartier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:37:17 -0500
Matt,

Thanks for updating us on your Rufous Hummingbird's departure date. In my
experience, quite a lot of them seem to depart during the first (or second)
warm spell after the winter solstice. You should definitely keep an eye out
for her again in the fall as there is some site fidelity of these birds,
though only two returnees have been confirmed (so far) in Ohio.

Their normal migration path is elliptical, with southbound birds heading
through the Rocky Mountains, while northbound birds stay west of there, and
often fly up the Sierra Nevadas. There are very few records of spring
migrant Rufous anywhere in the eastern U.S., though it is possible that
some of the March reports that are usually of glimpsed and unidentified
hummingbirds could be Rufous. Normally, they start departing the wintering
grounds in the southeastern U.S. in March and by mid-April they're all gone
from there. They often arrive in southern Alaska before the first week of
May.

I am not sure if the North Olmsted adult male Rufous Hummingbird is still
on site (latest I've heard is December 15), but at least three individuals
may still be around, including:

Hatch-year female @ Black Swamp Bird Observatory (last report was 8 January)
Hatch-year female in Circleville (last report was 4 January)
Hatch-year female in Williamsburg (last report was 6 January)

And the female Rufous/Allen's in Fairborn was last reported on 29 December.

I have not gotten a report on the after hatch-year female in Westerville
since 1 December.

Other Rufous that made it into January included:

Hatch-year male in Findlay (last observed 1 January)
After hatch-year female in Canal-Winchester (last observed 3 January)

And finally, a female Rufous/Allen's that I first heard about after
Christmas near Marysville, where it had been since mid-October, only stayed
until 31 December.

--
Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan