OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
"Bennett, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bennett, Gregory
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2013 18:30:15 +0000
"My" fox sparrow, last seen on the 9th, returned to the yard this morning. The snow is shoulder high to a chipmunk!

I checked the neighborhood and found a half dozen white-winged crossbills behind 122 Lownsdale Ave. This property borders on Frank Blvd Park, which, although lacking an entrance or parking lot, does exist in the realm of maps.

It's difficult to overstate how many hemlocks and spruces are in the area, near the Akron/Copley border.. Pines are greatly outnumbered and there are many birches also. It's possible that the crossbills are more likely to nest here than to find (or need) my nyjer tube a half mile away.

Peace,
Gregory Bennett
Akron OH