OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Steve Landes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Landes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2013 03:17:36 -0500
At about 8:30 on Saturday (the 23rd) I ran into 3 Brewer's Blackbirds ( one male and 2 females) in a mixed blackbird flock feeding in a field near the corner of schwartzwalder and clay plant roads (just south of funk bottoms). I apologize for not sending this report earlier. I spent most of the day second-guessing myself (that these birds were Rusty blackbirds), as I have very limited experience with the species and was not really sure of their status in eastern Ohio.  Despite the location and timing, after doing a little extra research I am now sure they were Brewer's. The male showed the distinctive glossier appearance and had a call and song that was slightly lower in pitch and less squeaky than Rusty. The females had entirely dark eyes, straight, thin bills, and showed none of the streaking or brown coloration of Rusty Blackbird. Low quality digiscoped photos of the females can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/70648484@N04/
If you go looking for these birds, please be aware that while I did not find Rusty Blackbirds in this area today, they could be around.
Best of luck!
Steve Landes
Columbus