OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 20:17:31 -0500
Hi: This morning I and three Amish friends had a fantastic day at Eastlake
power plant. Conditions were perfect - sunny and calm. There were tons of
gulls and we saw several first-cycle iceland and one first-cycle and one
adult glaucous gulls. We had 2-3 adult lesser black-backed gulls. There was
some discussion about Thayer's gull, but we could not be sure. There were
100s of ducks including two each of black, surf, and white-winged scoters
(the latter were much further out). There was one horned and several
pied-billed grebes. Ducks included lots of canvasbacks, redheads,
red-breasted mergs, and a few bufflehead, ruddy, mallard, and com.
goldeneye. Best of all with ducks, there was a group of 50+ scaup that was
in good light and close for easy study. We were able to readily pick out
the greater scaup, which composed about 10-15% of the group. Up on the
power plant building, there were two peregrine falcons. We came back later
in the afternoon and saw more of the same plus 20 great blue herons
standing out on the ice.

We were at E. 72nd St. from 11:30am to 1pm. There were far fewer ducks
there, but we did see a female hooded merganser. Though there were 1000s of
gulls, the only species of interest we were able to find were two
first-cycle and one adult glaucous. The best sighting was the purple
sandpiper that has been reported the past several days. It was observed
from the parking lot only 25-30ft away on the rocks just behind the
chain-link fence that guards a gap in the riprap at the shoreline. A
fantastic view!

This was a great day on the Cleveland lakefront. Randy Rowe, Wooster