OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 19:53:08 -0500
Today was a beautiful winter day. The roads were snow covered with the landscape draped in white. This morning about 11AM, we had Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, American Pipits, Lapland Longspurs, and Northern Harriers at their normal location on SR534 between Middletown and Calla Roads, just south of The Martig Farms maintenance building. A short time later we had a flock of 28 Tundra Swans pass over SR534 heading west. Sometime around 1PM, on Calla Road, just east of SR46 between the two ninety degree turns, we had a flock of 19 Lapland Longspurs on the west edge of the road. This represents the largest number we have ever seen at one time anywhere. Nearby we had a gorgeous Fox Sparrow, and hundreds of American Crows. After a late lunch at home, we checked out Malmsberry Road, located west of SR534, between SR165 and Pine Lake Road. Just south of SR165 were the usual numerous Horned Larks. On the west side of the road in a corn stubble field, were 500+ Canada Geese, 150+ Mallards, 50+ American Black Ducks, and the bird of the day; a single Blue Phase Snow Goose. The Snow Goose was our Ohio bird #114 for 2013. At about 4PM, we found our local, single Short-eared Owl at its usual late afternoon plowed field location, on the east side of SR534, just south and across the road from the previously described maintenance building location. We decided to make the short drive out to Berlin Reservoir and The SR224 Causeway to check it out. The southside was completely frozen over, but the northside had open water, with 7 Common Goldeneyes and 9 Hooded Mergansers. On our way home, we went back to check on our Short-eared Owl friend. At 5:30PM "he or she" was being harassed and chased by a Northern Harrier. The owl took a break on top of a power pole, and then headed west out over the vast field. Last weekend we observed a similar situation, with several Northern Harriers making close passes at our friend, while appearing to be minding its own business while perched on the ground. It was a rewarding day of birding in our own backyard. It doesn't get any better!

Bob and Denise Lane/ Mahoning County