OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:33:02 -0500
Sandy Tkach and I conducted the 15th  February monthly census yesterday in
periodic snow squalls with 21-24 degree temperatures.  However, it was
really a beautiful day with an above average survey.  We had 46 species
along the survey route and 16464 individuals.  The 15 year average for
February is 40 species with 5850 individuals.  This was our highest count
of individuals but over 4100 were unidentified diving ducks and gulls.  The
snow squalls made it difficult to identify many birds that were off shore.
Much of the island was surrounded by ice with pockets of open water here
and there.  Four additional species were observed on the island but not
along the survey route.  They were Wild Turkey, Eastern Phoebe, House
Finch, and American Goldfinch.  Unfortunately, all the bird feeders along
the route were empty.  Pied-billed Grebe and Trumpeter Swan were new
species for a February survey.  Over the 15 years, 85 species of birds have
been observed on the survey route.  It also appeared that there was a
migration of Northern Flickers going on.  At one point in the north quarry,
we had 26 flickers fly by in a NW direction in 5 minutes.  Lee and Sandy
Tkach had a lone Killdeer on the beach at the state park on Wednesday
morning but it was nowhere to be found yesterday.

2       Trumpeter Swan
4       Gadwall
13     American Black Duck
49     Mallard
3       Mallard X American Black Duck hybrid
4       Redhead
28     Greater Scaup
345   Bufflehead
5151 Common Goldeneye
9       Hooded Merganser
3798 Common Merganser
731   Red-breasted Merganser
2900 Diving Duck
*        Wild Turkey
1       Pied-billed Grebe
13     Bald Eagle
1       Sharp-shinned Hawk
1       Cooper's Hawk
3       Red-tailed Hawk
415   Ring-billed Gull
1267 Herring Gull
4       Lesser Black-backed Gull
59     Great Black-backed Gull
1250 Gull species
3       Mourning Dove
4       Eastern Screech-Owl
1       Great Horned Owl
2       Red-bellied Woodpecker
26     Downy Woodpecker
39     Northern Flicker
*        Eastern Phoebe
2       Blue Jay
66     American Crow
4       Horned Lark
65     Black-capped Chickadee
1       Red-breasted Nuthatch
2       White-breasted Nuthatch
7       Brown Creeper
8       Carolina Wren
2       Winter Wren
3       Golden-crowned Kinglet
4       Hermit Thrush
1       American Robin
10     European Starling
33     Yellow-rumped Warbler
5       American Tree Sparrow
1       Song Sparrow
26     White-throated Sparrow
21     Dark-eyed Junco
63     Northern Cardinal
*        House Finch
*        American Goldfinch
14     House Sparrow

46 species
16464 individuals

Unfortunately, the Townsend's Solitarie was nowhere to be found.  Most of
the fruit on the ornamental trees at the condos is gone.  The bird could
still be on the island but would take some time and effort to find it.

--
H. Thomas Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio