OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:59:59 -0500
I checked several areas in southwest Columbus, mostly old quarries, then visited several areas along the margin of the western suburbs (Hilliard & nearby Dublin) looking for waterfowl & sparrow flocks.  The cold overcast seemed to keep bird numbers down, and I had only scattered landbirds.  Best waterfowl were around the Haul Rd and Hart Rd quarries, with the latter being much better than the former.  Notables included

MuteSwans - 1 was at Haul Rd ponds, while 3 were at Hart Rd quarry
Ring-necked Ducks - 12-14 at Hart Rd quarry
Redheads - 110+ at Hart Rd quarry
Buffleheads - 4 were at the Haul Rd ponds
Hooded Mergansers - 6 were at Haul Rd ponds, while 40 were at Hart Rd quarry
Coots - 5 were with the waterfowl throng at Hart Rd quarry
Turkey Vultures - singles soaring over most areas of Hilliard & Dublin
Cooper's Hawks - single birds were at Big Run and nearby Prairie Lincoln Woods
Gulls - biggest flock was 90 birds at Hart Rd quarry, mostly Ring-bills except for 2 Herring
Woodpeckers - Downies & Red-bellies still widespread, found at every stop
Horned Larks - still scarce, with only 2 flyovers all morning
Tree Sparrows - none, despite being in good habitat much of the morning.
Swamp Sparrow - 1 continues to winter in the new riparian marshes along Clover Goff Run at Frank Park in Hilliard
Redwings - small flock flew north over Prairie Lincoln Woods; absent from many good marshes