OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Phil Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:32:19 -0500
Howdy, all,

Bill -- for reference, my office looks out the front towards the parking lot
(though left of, facing out) but is right on the border of the wood and a
lot of birds take up right on the border on either the floor or about 15' up
in the trees, which is pretty much eye level with my desk.  I don't know
where you were in the building.

For clarification, unless the Phoebe had a horrific accident involving
bleach and black dye, this was most definitely a black-and-white Eastern
Kingbird, the white tail tip being the distinguishing mark, even at 10 yards
or so.  To clarify the study, it hung out about 25-30 feet out from my
window, 15 or so feet up in the canopy.  As cameras are strictly forbidden
on the inside of the building and running out of a meeting is in poor taste,
I quietly watched the movement, observed the head, the tail and the
coloration patterns.  Behaviorally, it perched upright, buffeted a bit by
the stiff breeze.  With very little fanfare, it took off over the top of the
building -- probably something to with the frequent Red-shouldered visits.
I've photographed many E Kingbirds over the years, as well as Phoebes, so
there was no confusion to me and a quick flip through Sibley's as well as
iBird2 confirmed the identity.

Additionally, the trails offered on this property allow some excellent
birding, but as an employee, I'm not sure what the rules are for everyday
folks hiking back there.  The last trek back in there did reveal a Phoebe
(heard not seen), as well as Downies, N Flickers, many E Towhees and
sparrows -- Am Tree and Wh Throated.  I'm looking forward to nesting season
as it seems Piliateds and Red-shouldereds are already scoping out locales.
I can check with the security guard to see if it's OK for people to simply
come out and view the trails.  I'm fairly new there, so I don't know the ins
and outs of what you can and can't do, other than no cameras of any sort on
the inside.

If there are additional questions you have, please let me know.

Phil Ware
(kon16ov on eBird)