OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 16:37:59 -0500
We went to the Darby Lakes in the late morning and found lots of geese and
diving ducks.

Two ad. Greater White fronted Geese were and among Canada's, I digiscoped
them with poor results, but see my ebiirds report for photos.  One adult
Snow Goose and at least two Cackling Geese were present; a couple of other
smaller geese were seen but I wasn't abkle to rule "Lesser" out.   Dozens
of Redheads were actively feeding in the only open water, with 9 positive
Greater and more Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, among others.   A dark
morph Rough legged Hawk and a Short eared Owl were seen over the open
fields/cedars on the entrance road.  Landbirds were scarce, but while
walking the woods and field edge along the lake shore we began to hear
Red-crossbills, and saw 9 (at least two males) crossing in front of us
heading off over the open country.

See full report on ebirds for more info.

Good birding,

--
David Tan
Columbus