OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
"Shrader, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shrader, John
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 22:37:58 +0000
We easily found the Evening Grosbeak flock this morning at the feeders along the Park road about 1/2 mile west of the Gorge overlook in Mohican State Forest.  We arrived at about 0845 and the birds arrived at the house with the feeders along the back deck about 0900.  Most of the flock hung around, along with at least 30 Pine Siskins for about 30 minutes, then left the area.  A few grosbeaks were still present for another 30 minutes, then we didn't see any more for the next half hour.  There were a couple of other groups of birders that came after the main flock disappeared and we don't know if they saw them again or not.  We'd recommend being on site prior to 0900 as has been recommended.

John and Karen Shrader
Centerville, OH, USA

Mohican State Forest Park Rd, Ashland County, Ohio, Ashland, US-OH
Feb 9, 2013 8:45 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling 0.9 mile(s)
Comments:     TIME:  0845 - 1030
CONDITIONS:  27 - 33 F, overcast, wind NE 5; 4-5" snow on the ground
COVERAGE:  Walked west from Gorge overlook to the four houses along the park rd, which was 0.45 miles one way through the White Pine Grove.
MAMMALS:  Red Squirrel - 1
Observers:  John and Karen Shrader
17 species (+1 other taxa)

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)  1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  30
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  4
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  1     H.O.
Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)  1     H.O.
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  12
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  5
Carolina/Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis/atricapillus)  5
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  4
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  4
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  20
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  20
Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus)  30
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  10
Evening Grosbeak (Coccothraustes vespertinus)  22

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S12908338

**KHN Confidentiality Notice**
This message and the accompanying document or attachments may contain information which is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, discuss, disclose, copy, or distribute the contents of this message.

If you have received this information in error, please immediately contact the Kettering Health Network representative whose number is listed on the message and destroy all evidence of this correspondence.