OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 17:56:39 -0500
I visited several spots around Westerville, a NE Columbus suburb, as well as stopping at a few points along nearby Hoover Reservoir.  Despite the beautiful weather (or maybe because of it), birding was spotty, with few unusual species.  Waterfowl were disappointing, with more leads opened on the middle and southern parts of Hoover but most of them populated by geese & mallards.  Notables included:

Common Loon - 1 bird was in a lead off the east end of Oxbow Island.  One has been around the middle-north part of the reservoir since the CBC.

Gulls - conspicuous by their absence.  I doubt I had more than 20 Ring-bills along the middle section of Hoover

Bald Eagle - an immature flew south over the Sunbury causeway.

Screech Owl - at least 1 rufous-phase bird persists in the old trestle bridge along the Alum Creek Trail in Westerville

Red-headed Woodpeckers - 1 adult at McNamara Park (Rte 3 & Walnut St.), but none at Mudhen Marsh

E.Bluebirds - small flocks at Sharon Woods, along the AlumCreek Bikepath, and at Mudhen Marsh

Mockingbirds - single birds at Sharon Woods and Oxbow Island

Horned Larks - not much movement, with only a few flyovers at Sharon Woods and Hoover.

Yellow-rumped Warblers - widespread, with 1-3 birds at most stops

Tree Sparrows - 1-2 at Sharon Woods, the Alum Creek Bikepath, Oxbow Island, and Mudhen Marsh