OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:17:24 -0500
I'm thinking it would be informative to report on comments to my post
of--was it only less than two days ago?--on the subject of eBird.
        Most of what I heard from others (18 messages) came in private mail, so
I summarize it as well. I heard from only one sorehead, which is a
pretty good score these days. I was gratified to hear from a number of
knowledgeable people: a couple of biology professors, other academics, a
world-level lister, and some highly-regarded bird-records experts here
and in adjoining states and provinces who more or less approved of what
I had to say. Plus some scribblers who, like myself, may at times join
conversations on this list.
        One prominent thing I noticed is that a perceptible rift roughly
separates younger techy-types and older adherents to more traditional
ways of collecting and exchanging information. 'Twas ever thus, and the
new will shortly become the old.  Looking back, what constitutes a
"record" worthy of remembering and relying upon has changed: a hundred
years ago, a bird record was characterized by a well-preserved specimen
physically attached to specific written details and signed by the
collector; such specimens were preserved and verified by and published
in print by recognized scholars. Nearly all of them are now in museums,
and may be examined by anyone. I dunno--tomorrow, complete amateurs may
find it easy to get instant entire DNA readings via specialized remote
sensors built into their binoculars, but interpreted information will
still require verification and permanent storage that does not rely upon
certain advanced but vulnerable technologies. Sorry.
        I heard lots of characterizations of eBird, but will only say that not
everyone had praise to offer. The folks who had complaints and
suggestions about the Ohio Bird Records Committee had shared records
with the RC, and certainly deserved replies about delays. As a member
for many years, I agree that feedback from the RC has been slower than
normal of late; it needs to improve, but should catch up within a month
or two. Through rotations, the membership changes yearly, and we
probably ought to keep up with that on the web site, too.  Current
members are Ned Keller (Secretary), Ed Pierce, Sue Tackett, Gabe Leidy*,
Mike Busam, Su Snyder*, Rob Harlan, Matt Anderson*, and myself
(*=members whose appointments expire next month at the annual meeting).
As for publication of decisions in the Ohio Cardinal, that depends
largely on that journal's catching up. It has been delayed since 2007,
but I feel confident the new editor Craig Caldwell will see to catching
up on six delayed issues on an expedited schedule.
Bill Whan
Columbus