OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 22:46:17 -0500
I made a short tour of some of the eagle nests I know of starting at the
Prospect nest on the Sciota river. There was one adult eagle on the nest.

Big Island WA had one adult eagle on the nest. There was a beutiful
juvenile with lots of white all over its body flying around. as I was
leaving the area I spoted another juvenile eagle with very little white on
the body.

Killdeer Plains WA now has four eagle nests. I am not sure if all four are
active. I did see an adult eagle on three of them as well as two adults
flying and a forlorn juvinile walking on the ice.

Sr 199 nest. I could not tell if there was an eagle on the nest. There was
one flying around.

SR 199 & US 23. There was an adult flying there. Perhaps the other adult
belonging to the SR199 nest.

TR 44 had one adult on the nest and one flying nearby

TR 29 had one adult on the nest and one juvinile flying nearby.

SR 53 had one adult on the nest.

CR 37 had one adult on the nest.

The nest along Woodside Rd off SR 100 blew down over the winter. In fact
the whole tree went down. I am happy to report that the eagles there have
rebuilt across the road to the left of the barn. Nobody was on the nest
but both adults were perched nearby.

Seneca Co. SR 19 nest was in good condition but I did not observe any
eagles. The nest was active last month.

After leaving the Seneca Co nest I headed back to Killdeer plains to watch
for short eared owls. I arrived at the sportsman center about 15 minutes
to six. To my amazment there were at least 14 Northern Harriers flying
together in the field north west of the sportsman center. I have never
seen that many Harriers in one place at the same time. They were mostly
female with perhaps three males and a few juveniles mixed in. It was
getting pretty dark and the Harriers had mostly moved on when the Short
Eared Owls came out. There was a total of eight of them.

Final count of Eagles and Hawks

Red Tail Hawk 16
American Kestrels 11
Coopers Hawk 1