OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Mark Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:04:00 -0500
For those of you not on Birding Ohio - this was offered yesterday for
consideration.

Killdeer Plains and Owls

The discussion on Owls and Killdeer Plains has been interesting in many
ways. I have held off commenting but maybe this is a time to bring about
some change. This isn't a new subject and some history is in order for all
the opinions out there.

This subject was first reviewed over 20 years ago when a study on the owls
using the west pine grove was conducted by Dr. Nelson Moore at Ohio Northern
with the Division of Wildlife. There was considerably more owl use then and
much lower human use. Writing on the wall of the future was identified and
recommendations formulated. Several factors WERE going to happen over time
and management response was needed.

First, the grove was going to deteriorate over time, becoming less
attractive for the needs of the roosting owls. Second, human activity was
going to increase as birder numbers grew. There were other issues taken into
account, the old "all eggs in one basket" adage, increases and interaction
expected with Great Horned Owls, educational opportunities, and yes
behavioral bad actors in the human species. A responsible Wildlife
Management approach for the long-term needs of the species involved was the
objective.

DOW Research provided several recommendations to District and Area managers.
They, of which Donna Daniels took the lead, put these in operation. They
included the following measures:

- Establishment of alternative pine groves on the refuge where there would
be no human interaction. This was to provide alternative habitat to meet
this life cycle need of the migrant owls using the area. To look at the big
picture of habitat management and our basic responsibilities to the people
of Ohio as an agency.

- Provide educational signage for the west grove. There was going to be an
increase in human activity, both birding and non-birding in the habitat
block. Take the opportunity to increase awareness of the bird needs and
responsible human behavior. To answer a question that has been raised - in a
sense, YES this grove was going to be made a sacrificial lamb in a manner of
speaking. The opportunity to educate and enjoy one of natures' gems
outweighed the potential human factor of disturbance (as long as there were
other options for a free flying bird to utilize).

- Add trees to the groves in existence. Recognize the limited time value to
the grove for the birds (remember these trees weren't planted for owls, not
even sure what the original purpose was, probably prior to state ownership).
Plant additional trees in and around the existing groves to provide a
continuum of habitat availability. To address the concerns of predator
mortality to migrant owls from the resident Great Horns (probably the #1
predator of Long-ears and Saw-whets in the area).

These were all put into motion. Have they been successful? Were they a
correct prophecy? That seems to be a mixed bag. This whole discussion, some
20 years later, indicates, yes, future concerns were identified. But, has
the plan recommendations been completely successful? I venture, not as well
as I would have liked when I penned them 20 years ago. Alternate groves were
planted, with dedicated volunteers and agency personnel, but follow-up and
maintenance has been less than stellar. Deer wiped out everything but red
cedar in the south refuge grove. Still useful for NSWO but probably of
little to no use for LEOW. Personally it has been years since I have been in
or over the interior refuge grove so I can't honestly give an evaluation of
its value. I do know that deer were a problem. The same occurred to
additional trees in the old groves. Deer need to be accounted for in future
plans. Educational plans? Well, the discussion recently is part of that.
Everyone visiting those groves has the responsibility and yes the obligation
to be an ambassador for the bird and their habitat. Bad behavior is a result
of what we collectively, accept. If that is broken, then stop the jaw
flapping and fix it.

What is the future?

The bottom line is good habitat for the birds. Adequate habitat availability
and responsible human behavior are the big picture items. The birds require
places to meet their needs but birders can not be completely excluded. The
bird is our best educational tool, some access has to be part of the
management plan and the future. Humans don't support what they don't
understand or appreciate.

Maybe it's time our leaders, BSBO, OOS, OYBC, and any bird club or chapter
in the state come together with the DOW to begin the next 20 year plan. More
new groves, maintenance of existing groves, deer exclosure components, and
hands on educational guidance to the masses. We can do it, better than the
first time! We got the concerns right, we faltered on the follow-up. It
doesn't take talk, it is going to take some volunteers to step forward with
tree planting, deer fencing, scientific monitoring, and education.

Is there an interest out there to make this happen for future generations to
come?

There has been an over-whelming positive response to the last question so
far.

Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory