OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:01:33 -0800
Large numbers of waterfowl are again congregating in the Deer Creek Area. Both the reservoir and wetlands held many ducks, especially dabbling ducks.

In the reservoir the shallow SW corner, as expected for the date, held the greatest concentration. Mallards were present in the thousands. Am. Black Ducks and Northern Pintails were present in the hundreds, and Gadwall were present in the dozens. Several Green-winged Teal were noted, but that was it for the puddle ducks in the reservoir. Elsewhere in the reservoir were smaller numbers of all three mergansers, Common Goldeneyes, Lesser Scaups, Ring-necked Ducks, and Ruddy Ducks. Gull numbers were fairly low with several dozen Ring-billed Gulls and one each of Herring and Bonaparte's Gulls.

The northern and middle wetland tracts held a good number of ducks. Additional species noted in the wetlands that weren't seen in the reservoir included Redheads, American Wigeons, and Northern Shovelers. Some species (especially Ring-necked Ducks) were far more numerous in the wetlands than the reservoir.

The water treatment pond of the state park is always worth a check. Today it held about a dozen each of Redheads and Lesser Scaup with a few Buffleheads.

Canada Geese were present in modest numbers in all areas, but no other geese were noted (yet). This whole area can and should be excellent for waterfowl another month and a half to come and the scene can change daily.

I also had my first Red-winged Blackbird singing on territory this evening.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 8003 (20130213) __________