OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 05:59:38 -0800
The true first sign of spring is the annual debate on Ohio Birds as to what constitutes the first spring birds. You have your "Eager Anticipaters" who look for the return of the half-hardy species like Killdeer and Red-winged Blackbirds, and your "Strict Technicalists" who insist on neotropic migrants, and everyone in between.  Me, I like all my firsts - first junco of winter, first phoebe of spring, first cavity nesting bird checking out my bird boxes.  I say - don't harsh someone else's mellow.  If singing Eastern Meadowlarks and dancing American Woodcocks say "Spring is here" to you, so be it.  Spring is in the eye, and ear, of the beholder.

Happy Valentine's Day and here's to an early Spring!

Kathi Hutton
Clermont County, where Red-winged Blackbirds and Eastern Meadowlarks have returned