OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:46:20 -0500
In response to Bill's request about what other readers of this list feel are harbingers of spring:  when the male bluebird that has been roosting all winter in it's future nest box starts his fervent song at first light everyday or when the Carolina wren that roosts on your porch lets out its loud and clear song which has otherwise been silent all winter.  Or perhaps the chickadee that is singing the rest of it's song rather than just the first note.  A tough winter in the desolate hills of Morgan county can inspire one to use non migrants and their subtle hints as hopeful hints of warmer weather.

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake