OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
William Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 13:27:19 -0500
In the two locations where I regularly find Savannah Sparrows in
winter time in the Cincinnati area (they are present all winter) they
are in weedy fields away from water.  In past years at one of the
locations it seems as if they preferred short vegetation (ie less than
12").  However, this year I have found more birds in waist high
vegetation.  I have found them to be very secretive in winter time,
much more so than any of the other regularly occurring sparrows.  They
do not respond to pishing, fly very low when flushed and usually dive
back into the vegetation without perching.  They do occasionally make
contact type calls.  Given the difficulty in finding them I suspect
there are many more around than are reported.
Cheers,
Bill Hull
Cincinnati, OH